In this guide you’ll find out about:
- Which shredding service do I need?
- Onsite secure shredding
- Offsite secure shredding
- Small business and home office shredding
- Bulk shredding
- The security of our shredding service
Which shredding service do I need?
The type of service that’s best suited to your business’s paper disposal needs will depend on:
- the volume of confidential waste paper you generate
- the period of time in which you generate it
- the level of security required for the confidential waste you generate
Onsite secure shredding
Offsite secure shredding
No contract, small quantity shredding service
If you’re a small business or a sole trader, we offer a specialised service whereby we collect up to 3 sacks of confidential waste per month for a one-off payment of £199 + VAT per year.
If security is your primary concern, you may want to consider our onsite shredding service. Although all of our services make the security of your confidential waste a priority, the opportunity to have your sensitive documents destroyed on your business premises — as you watch, if required — can offer that additional peace of mind.
Alternatively, with our offsite service you can have your confidential business documents collected and shredded in our secure depot — a cost-effective solution for medium or large businesses. Whether you want your waste collected regularly or just whenever you decide, we:
- provide secure containers in which to store your waste documents
- destroy them within 24 hours of transportation to our depot
- send you a certificate of destruction after each collection, for your records.
Onsite secure shredding
Onsite — or mobile — shredding involves a special truck containing an industrial shredder arriving at your business and your confidential documents being destroyed there and then, before being taken away for recycling.
It is a highly secure way of destroying your confidential information, whether you’re looking for an ad-hoc or a regular service.
We can supply our onsite shredding customers with secure containers in which to collect your confidential waste and keep it safe whilst it is awaiting destruction.
Types of confidential waste containers:
- For ad-hoc collections we provide security sacks and ties, lockable wheelie bins or secure skips, depending on the volume of confidential waste you need to dispose of.
- For regular, scheduled collections, we can provide a range of lockable containers depending on your requirements.
How does it work?
- If it’s an ad-hoc collection, we supply the following, depending on the volume of confidential data and documents:
- security sacks and ties
- lockable wheelie bins
- secure skips
- On your collection day our service operative will arrive at your place of business, at which point your confidential containers will be emptied and your documents shredded on your premises.
- With a shredding capacity of approximately 3 tonnes of paper per hour, your business will experience minimal disruption.
Offsite secure shredding
Offsite shredding involves transporting your confidential waste paper to our secure depot, where it’s destroyed by our industrial shredder. This service is ideal for large-volume collections, whether regular or one-off when preparing for an office move, for example.
As with our onsite shredding service, we provide a range of secure containers in which you can collect all your confidential waste paper before we take it away for disposal. You can find out more about which container solution is best for you here.
If you have a large amount of paper to be shredded, you may find it more convenient for it to be taken away in our secure vehicles and shredded in bulk.
How does it work?
- Our service operative will arrive to collect your confidential documents, leaving you with a signed waste transfer note.
- The vehicle will return to the secure depot.
- Your material is transferred to the shredding area and destroyed within 24 hours.
- You will receive a certificate of destruction for your audit trail and environmental performance figures.
Offsite vs onsite shredding: the main differences
- Secure shredding takes place on your premises
- Documents handled by fewer people
- Documents are destroyed in mobile shredding trucks
- Shredding can take place while you watch
- A more cost-effective service
- Ideal for bulk shredding and large volumes of confidential waste
- Documents are transported to a secure depot for shredding
- Involves more handling but is completely secure
- You receive a certificate of destruction after shredding
Onsite shredding - what are the advantages?
- The main advantage of having your documents shredded on-site is peace of mind; you can be sure that the confidential waste is destroyed before being transported off the premises. The paper can even be shredded while you watch if you wish.
- There’s less handling involved than with offsite shredding, where your documents are removed and securely transported to our depot for destruction. Onsite shredding is performed by our trained, security-screened service operative at your facility.
- Your business will experience minimal disruption, since our mobile shredding trucks have capacity to destroy around three tonnes of paper per hour.
- It’s completely secure. Our service operatives are BS7858 security-screened and DBS-checked and will present ID on arrival. They’ll then empty your secure containers of confidential waste and shred it there and then — while you watch, if you wish.
Offsite shredding - what are the advantages?
- It’s economical. Onsite shredding tends to be more expensive due to the cost of running our mobile shredding vehicles and of employing staff who are trained to perform the shredding service on your premises. And the service is particularly cost-effective if you have a large volume of waste paper to be destroyed. See our costs page for further details.
- It’s efficient – your confidential waste is shredded within 24 hours of transportation to our depot and our industrial shredder, with a capacity of around seven tonnes of paper per hour, will destroy it very quickly.
- The vehicles in which we transport your documents — which include transit vans, skips and articulated lorries — are fully tracked and operated by trained, security-screened staff, meaning you can be sure your waste paper is safe right to the point of destruction.
- Our depot is protected by code-locked doors and CCTV cameras, meaning your confidential documents remain safe at all times while in our possession.
Small business and home office shredding
We don’t just deal with large corporations: one of our most popular services is our regular, no-contract shredding. This is ideal for small businesses or home workers who don’t produce enough confidential waste for our standard shredding services but wish to comply with data protection regulations.
How does it work?
For a one-off payment of £199 + VAT per year you’ll have:
- Up to 3 sacks delivered per month
- one collection per month
- certificate of destruction for each collection
- annual duty of care
- email reminders of collection dates
For more information on this service, see our shredding page
If your business generates a large quantity of confidential waste paper on a regular basis, no problem – we have the capacity and experience to handle it. Our heavy-duty primary shredder can process bulk volumes of material including:
- paper reels and wrappers
- palletised paper
We also offer rebates to customers with large volumes (several tonnes, as opposed to, say, ten bags) of paper to shred, meaning the waste could turn into revenue that’s put straight back into your business.
You can find out more about rebates for bulk paper shredding at this page or by getting in touch with the team on 0800 294 6552.
The security of our shredding service
Confidentiality is of utmost importance to us at Russell Richardson, so you can be sure your waste documents are safe in our hands.
- We can shred your data on site – and can even offer a ‘while-you-watch’ service upon request – so you can be sure the waste is destroyed securely by trained security cleared staff
- For large ad-hoc collections or regular small business collections that require offsite shredding:
- we provide containers to keep your waste paper secure to the point of destruction
- secure, tracked vehicles to transport your confidential waste back to our facility
- we employ trained, security-cleared staff
- our depot is protected by code-locked doors and CCTV cameras
- we destroy your material within 24 hours of collection
- we send you a certificate of destruction so you can be sure when your collection has been securely shredded